How to Install a Garage-Door Opener
All you need is three hours and these easy step-by-step instructions.
Nothing beats the convenience and security of an automatic garage door, and you can install one yourself with this three-hour project. Use the instructions as a general guide, and always stick to the manufacturer’s directions where appropriate.
Materials and Tools:
garage-door opener assembly kit (appropriate tools vary with kit)
wire cutters (to remove wire sheathing)
- Spread the parts of the kit in front of you.
- Attach the rubber bumper and the coupler to the power head. Add the first rail section (with the carriage stop), and then attach the remainder of the rail sections.
- Attach the rail clamps where appropriate to the rail sides, and then slide the slide carriage into the carriage slot from the end of the rail. Next attach the rail straps to the end of the rail section.
- With the rail section complete, install the limit-switch wires in the groove of the rail assembly and attach the two limit switches; the first switch is placed about 6 inches from the end of the gray wire and the second about a foot from the end of the rail assembly. Attach the emergency release knob.
- Center the header bracket above the door and attach it to the wall. Attach the power unit to the ceiling. Attach the bracket to the door with lag screws.
- Insert the door arm and hold it in place with a clevis pin. Attach the other door arm to the traveler, again with a clevis pin. Overlap the door arms that run between the traveler (slide carriage) and the garage door, and secure with two bolts.
- Installing the switch is a simple matter of finding outlet wire, revealing the sheathing of red and white wire, attaching the exposed wire to the switch, and screwing the switch into the wall. Attach door sensors to either side of the garage door.
- Run the wiring to the power unit and plug it in.
Easy Storage Guidelines
Develop rules and go step by step so storage decisions don't seem overwhelming.
How to Store Cleaning Supplies
Let’s face it: Cleaning isn't most people’s idea of fun. But there’s also no reason to make it harder than it has to be. Take some of the pain out of household chores with these tips for keeping cleaning supplies sorted and at the ready.
Repairing Roof Damage
A homeowner wants to know the cost of repairing a hole caused by moisture from a damaged roof.
Demolition: Removing Walls
Follow these guidelines for a safe takedown.
Dramatic Striped Ceiling Update
The ceiling is a room's fifth wall. Give this often overlooked area a big dose of personality with an easier-than-it-looks graphic paint treatment.
How to Make a Guitar Rack
Save space and display your prized instruments with these step-by-step instructions.
Roofing Component Basics
Roofing terminology can be a bit overwhelming. These basic roofing definitions will help get your project off on the right foot.
Fix a Door That Won't Stay Shut
Fix a door that won't stay shut with these step-by-step instructions.
Installing Fiberglass Batt Insulation
Use these tips and techniques to ensure proper installation of fiberglass insulation.
Creative Storage Ideas for Cabinets
When choosing kitchen cabinetry, consider features that make it easier to reach your items
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.