How to Install a Dimmer Switch
Adjust the ambience and save energy with this project.
In any given room, a single light setting is unlikely to fill all your needs. Replacing an existing toggle switch with a dimmer switch allows you to control the level of light. Several types are available, including push-on and slide dimmers, but most operate the same way. And as a bonus, by dimming the light, you'll be saving energy.
Here's how to install a dimmer:
Materials and Tools:
medium-size flat-head screwdriver
- Turn off the power at the circuit breaker, and cover the switch with electrical tape so that no one accidentally turns it back on while you're working on the circuit.
- Remove the switch cover plate. Remove the screws from the existing switch and pull it out from the wall.
- Use the circuit tester to make sure the power is off.
- Disconnect the wiring. Straighten the wires coming from the wall.
- Twist a wire from the switch and a wire from the wall together, and snug the connection with the needle-nose pliers. Use a barrel crimp to connect the green wire to the bare copper ground wire. For this installation, it doesn't matter which color wires you use to make your connections. Some building codes require that ground wires be connected with barrel crimps.
- Cap the connection tightly with a wire nut.
- Repeat the process for the other two wires.
- Push the wires back into the box, screw the switch into place and replace the cover. Be sure to install sliding dimmer switches upright; otherwise they could operate in reverse. If the original cover plate no longer fits, replace it.
- Turn the power back on at the circuit breaker.
Change a Bulb, Change the World, Save Some Green
Installing energy-saving fluorescent bulbs will not only help save the planet, it will help save your budget.
How To Embellish Party Lights With Colorful Streamers
Take your basic patio lights up a notch with sheer ribbon embellishments. These pretty colors will blow in the summer breeze, making those nighttime BBQs much more festive.
Funky Cool Blue Chandelier
From the pages of HGTV Magazine, Hilary Farr of Love It or List It tells you how to remix this old item with a little more than paint.
5 Tips and Tricks for Extra Holiday Twinkle
Here are some creative ways to drape and place dazzling indoor Christmas lights.
Designing a Home Lighting Plan
We'll show you the basics, including design ideas, product tips and lighting choices.
How-To: Vintage Egg Basket Lighting
Upcycle flea market finds to create exciting new pieces courtesy of the DIY experts at HGTV Magazine.
How to Clean Lights and Shades
6 bright ideas for shedding more light on the subject
Creating a Christmas Lantern
Add a few Christmas-inspired flourishes to a hurricane lantern to create a beautiful holiday decoration.
Outdoor Kitchen Lighting Ideas
Outdoor kitchen lighting affects everything from food preparation to mosquito control and is an important part of the design and performance of any outdoor kitchen.
Faux Capiz Shell Pendant
Beautiful capiz shell pendants add romance, interest and natural beauty to any room. With this DIY tutorial, you can make a capiz pendant to any size using basic household supplies.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.