How to Childproof a Party
When you're throwing a party, you don't want to have to worry about the worst that could happen, so worry about it before the party. Here are some safety tips for planning the perfect celebration:
- Don't light candles anywhere children are unattended.
- Keep pills in containers with child-resistant caps.
- Turn water heaters down to 120 degrees or less to avoid scalding young guests' hands.
- When you boil liquids, use backburners and turn pan handles so that they're out of the reach of small hands.
- Keep cleaning products in an overhead storage place.
- When entertaining friends with children younger than 3, close bedroom and bathroom doors and hook doors that open onto staircases.
- Make sure windows are locked and screens are pulled in place. Wrap drapery cords with tape where little ones can't reach.
- Post local emergency numbers near every telephone. Type out the numbers and cover them with package tape to make them permanent.