Free Yourself From Paper Clutter

Keep paper in its place by using the following tips to cut down on paper clutter.
Incoming Household Papers

Incoming Household Papers

Establish a home for incoming paper, and use it daily to contain the incoming tide. You'll always know where to find the week’s bills, mail and announcements.

Photo by: DK - House Works © 2010 Dorling Kindersley Limited

DK - House Works , 2010 Dorling Kindersley Limited

Establish a home for incoming paper, and use it daily to contain the incoming tide. You'll always know where to find the week’s bills, mail and announcements.

Decide to Decide

What force lies at the bottom of paper pileups? Like all clutter problems, the culprit is deferred decision-making. It's fun to flip through the day's mail at the kitchen table, but if it's left there to molder, it'll have to be sorted again later. Chances are, important items will go missing.

Instead, decide what to do with each piece of paper the first time you handle it. Ask yourself, "Will this item need to be paid, answered or filed?" then drop the paper into the appropriate folder of your Action File. An immediate sort-and-stow operation heads off paper clutter at the source.

Keep It or Toss It?

Desktop efficiency experts tell us that the 20/80 Rule is alive, well, and running amok amongst the filing cabinets. Specifically, we'll need only 20 percent of the papers that are entrusted to any filing system; the remaining 80 percent are never seen, consulted or handled again.

When adding to your household files, always keep the 20/80 Rule in mind in order to cut down on clutter in the filing cabinet. Resolve to limit the contents of your filing cabinet to that important 20 percent; discard any item that won't be needed again.


Keep Reading

Next Up

Clear Office Clutter in Three Easy Steps

Professional organizer and guest Liz Witts shares advice for getting a home office in order.

Clutter-Busting Tips

Take back your space with these simple tips to pull the plug on paper clutter.

Fighting Clutter From the Inside Out

Let go of clutter by dealing with essential emotions and questions.

How to Get Rid of Clutter in Your Home

Follow these simple steps to help tackle paper clutter and more.

Keep Clutter From Coming Back

Getting to clutter-free is only half the job; you'll need to develop new attitudes and habits to keep clutter from coming back. Follow these simple strategies for sustainable clutter-free living.

Organizing an Office Space

Take a good look at your clutter — you’re about to kiss it goodbye.

Get Organized and Control the Clutter

Professional organizer Liz Witts offers tips on how to control clutter.

Save Time, Save Money: Tips for Paper Handling

Digging documents you need out from stacks, piles and paper sacks stowed deep within closets slows the pace of household paper handling. Try these tips to speed and organize paper chores. Get the job done fast!

Home Office Organization Quick Tips

Follow these easy tips to declutter your small home office.

Raising Clutter-Free Kids

It's never too early to start teaching the ABCs of tidiness. While you may find it easier (and faster) to organize for them, it will save you time and headaches to pass the clean baton.

Shop This Look

Found a living space you love in HGTV's Photo Library? Get the look in your own home with products from Wayfair.

Follow Us Everywhere

Join the party! Don't miss HGTV in your favorite social media feeds.