5 Tips for Rewiring an Old House
Bring a classic house up to modern electrical standards with this checklist.
To eliminate electrical hazards, owners of older homes may have to rewire the entire house. Modern appliances such as air conditioning, microwaves and hair dryers weren't household necessities years ago, and to meet such demands, changes are often in order to increase a home's electrical capacity. Here's how to ensure safe operation:
Note: Upgrading and rewiring the main service panel is a job for a licensed electrician -- let him do it.
- Upgrade the main service panel to at least 100 amps.
- Install dedicated circuits in the service panel for each of the home's major appliances.
- Space electrical outlets six to eight feet apart throughout the house. That will eliminate the need to run extension cords that could be a fire hazard.
- When installing new outlets, install only the three-prong type to avert electrical shocks.
- Install outlets with ground-fault circuit interpreters in the kitchen, bathrooms and outdoors. These outlets will shut themselves down to prevent an electrical shock if they get wet.
Maintain Indoor Relative Humidity
A dehumidification system gives you more control of your home's comfort level.
Boost Electrical Safety at Home
Maintain your home's electrical system and keep the lights on and the power flowing.
Ventilation and Indoor Air Quality
Consider these options for replacing polluted air with fresh air.
Check out these cleaning tips for energy-efficient evaporative coolers.
Tips for Taking Care of Your Heating and Cooling System
Learn to keep your heating and cooling system in top shape with these tips.
How to Avoid Volatile Organic Compounds
Volatile organic compounds, found in paint, caulk, cleaning supplies, carpet and wood, can be damaging to your health.
How to Install a Whole-House Fan
Learn how to keep your cool by installing a whole-house fan.
Keep Dust Down
Does dust settle on surfaces minutes after you've cleaned them? Tips for getting rid of dust — not just moving it around.
Controlling Poison Ivy
Tips for removing poison ivy without using chemicals on HGTV.com.
Get Back to Breakfast Basics
Follow these great ideas for a hearty nutritious breakfast.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.