5 Tips for Fighting Household Odors
Get to the root of the problem with a little routine maintenance.
Many household odors stem from moisture and the mold and mildew that it feeds, but most odors can be eliminated fairly easily. Here are some ways to clear the air:
- Deodorize the garbage disposal at least once a month with an over-the-counter cleaner. Or add a couple of slices of lemon, orange or lime peel to the disposal and turn it on with the water running.
- After using the washing machine, open it to allow air to circulate and kill mildew fungus.
- Pour water into basement floor drains monthly. This will cut down on the discharge of plumbing gases.
- Pour a little vanilla extract on a cotton ball and place it in the refrigerator to eliminate odors. You can also place cotton balls in small bowls around the house.
- Use baking soda as a cutting-board deodorizer. Simply use a paste of baking soda and water to scrub the board. Be sure to rinse well.
10 Non-Tools to Keep in Your Toolbox
Sure, he uses hammers and screwdrivers. But Chris Grundy, host of DIY Network’s Cool Tools, tells HGTV Magazine what else he stashes for repair job surprises.
Radiant Red Sideboard
From the pages of HGTV Magazine, Drew Scott of Property Brothers tells you how to remix this old item with a little more than paint.
Budget-Friendly Blogger Style
HGTV Magazine asked some smart-spending bloggers to each decorate a space using more creativity than cash. The payoff: tons of easy dollar-stretching tricks that are right on the money.
Get it in Writing: A Contractor Talks About Contracts
Contractor and host of Holmes on Homes, Mike Holmes talks about why you should always get a contract from your contractor.
How to Stamp an Elegant Black and White Box
Use decorative stamps to embellish a plain white box with black accents.
The 3 Principles of Interior Design
Account for function, mood and personality in any decorating project with these pointers.
HGTV Magazine: October 2011
Online content from the October 2011 issue of HGTV Magazine.
Decorator's Shopping Guide to eBay
Smart search tips to help you locate decorating deals on the world's largest online auction site.
What to Do When Your Neighbors Drive You Nuts
Had it up to here with the folks next door? Take a deep breath and heed this expert advice from HGTV Magazine.
How to Build an Outdoor Recycling Center
Add shelter and organization for recycling and waste bins with a recycling center made from basic building materials.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.