5 Tips for Fighting Household Odors
Get to the root of the problem with a little routine maintenance.
Many household odors stem from moisture and the mold and mildew that it feeds, but most odors can be eliminated fairly easily. Here are some ways to clear the air:
- Deodorize the garbage disposal at least once a month with an over-the-counter cleaner. Or add a couple of slices of lemon, orange or lime peel to the disposal and turn it on with the water running.
- After using the washing machine, open it to allow air to circulate and kill mildew fungus.
- Pour water into basement floor drains monthly. This will cut down on the discharge of plumbing gases.
- Pour a little vanilla extract on a cotton ball and place it in the refrigerator to eliminate odors. You can also place cotton balls in small bowls around the house.
- Use baking soda as a cutting-board deodorizer. Simply use a paste of baking soda and water to scrub the board. Be sure to rinse well.