10 Tips for Shopping Yard Sales Like a Pro
It’s exhausting out there, so before you head out for a day on the yard-sale circuit, be sure to go over this handy list of tips. You’ll thank us.
- Wear comfortable shoes. You’ll be on your feet all day, including time spent on grass and dirt.
- Map your route to make the best use of your time. Stopping at sites with multiple vendors gives you more shopping time and requires less driving time.
- Wear sunscreen or a hat or both, and try to keep your face in the shade.
- Bring water and snacks.
- Have a tape measure handy to make sure large purchases such as furniture will fit inside your house.
- Hit the ATM for cash before you head out; most vendors don’t take credit cards.
- Take along a rolling tote to hold your purchases. This minimizes the amount of weight you have to carry and keeps your hands free to keep shopping.
- Pack hand sanitizer. If you’re shopping at a large venue, the only restrooms might be portable ones, which don’t include sinks for proper hand-washing.
- Think ahead on shipping. If you buy something big, will you send it from an overnight shipping service or bus service, or will you need to rent a truck or trailer?
- If you see something you like, buy it, because when you come back later it will probably be gone.