Build an Upholstered Storage Bench
Step-by-step instructions for creating a practical showpiece
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Solve your storage needs with this sophisticated bench. Here’s how to build it:
Materials and Tools:
2 sheets of MDF
four 1-by-4-inch boards
five 1-by-6-inch boards
4 yards of red velvet fabric
buttons and button-making kit
4 bags of batting
4 pieces of foam (same dimensions as bookcase)
heavy-duty sewing needle
1. Assemble bookshelves according to manufacturer’s instructions. Add three 1-by-6’s to the back of the bookshelf and two stained 1-by-6’s to the inside for support.
2. Use a nail gun to secure the shelves inside the bookcase.
3. Cut four pieces of MDF to the length and width of the bookshelf. Two of the pieces will serve as the back piece for the wall. Cut the other two pieces in half to serve as the lids.
4. Upholster each piece of MDF with foam, batting and red velvet fabric using a staple gun.
5. Use a button-making kit to create matching red velvet buttons.
6. To add the tufting detail, drill holes in each spot where a button will go. Using upholstery thread and a heavy-duty sewing needle, secure the buttons to each piece by threading through the front to the back. Then wrap the thread around a screw and tighten into place to create the tuft.
8. Screw the back piece into the wall, and frame it with stained 1-by-4’s.
Provide extra seating while concealing your pet's crate.
An old entry door and retro-style balusters come together to make a dining room table.