Update Your Family Room With an Eclectic Travel Theme
A family room is updated with an eclectic travel theme.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
$45 - Paint
The walls are painted a light brown color to highlight the stone fireplace and brighten the basement room overall.
- wall paint: Behr - Cloudy Amber, 2A3-4
$80 - Border
A large-scale border made out of wall board is used instead of a traditional paper border. The wall board is painted the same color as the walls and stenciled. Sculati made her own stencil by using an image out of a copyright-free image book. She enlarged the image to the appropriate size, traced it onto posterboard and then onto Con-Tact paper. Once the border is on the walls, the edges are trimmed out with molding and the arches are highlighted with one-inch upholstery nails.
- one-inch nailheads: Van Dyke Supply Co. - Old Gold 'Z' S6081-100
$9 - Furniture Covers
The sofa is updated with a piece of fringed remnant fabric and the chair is dressed up with a new cover on the back cushion. The ottoman is given a new cover that's held in place with elastic straps on the feet; tassels made from a skein of yarn add design flair to the bottom.
- sofa fabric: thrift store
- chair and ottoman fabric: Mills End Textiles
$53 - Rug
A new rug adds color to the seating area.
- 5x8 area rug: Menard's - Orian, Polynaise Collection New Castle lambs wool BRPOL4NELW
$4 - End Tables
TV tray tops are screwed onto the tops of the homeowners' side tables.
- TV trays: thrift store
$15 - Media Curtain
Electronic equipment is hidden behind a small curtain attached to the entertainment center.
- fabric: Mills End Textiles
$43 - Dresser
An old dresser is brought in for CD storage and given a faux crocodile finish. Crumpled crocodile-patterned tissue paper is smoothed onto the surface and adhered with decoupage glue. Once dry, the piece is painted with an antiquing medium and given more depth with a dark brown water-based stain. The surface is pounced with a plastic bag to mix the colors and add more visual texture to the finish.
- tissue paper: dollar store
- decoupage glue: Plaid - Mod Podge, CS11305
- antiquing glaze: Menard's - McClosky #6460 Asphaltum
- stain: The Home Depot - Carvertrip Safe & Simple #7754 Special Walnut
$10 - Screen
A screen is created out of bi-fold doors, padding from a mattress pad and remnant material and gimp. It's hooked to the wall so it doesn't tip over.
- fabric: Mills End Textiles
$23 - Play Area
A mirror is given more prominence with a stenciled design and two sconces. Plump floor pillows and a small rug make the play area comfortable.
- stamp: Plaid - Stamp Décor, Tasha #53628
- paint: Plaid - Folk Art, 657 Metallic Regal Red; 668 Metallic Plum
- pillow fabrics: thrift store
$8 - Photo Gallery
A wall-mounted photo gallery is held together with jute webbing. A leftover window shade slat is used to hold the strips of webbing; the frames are held in place with dress hooks.
$27 - Light Fixtures
The nondescript light fixture is replaced with three directional lamps.
$51 - Accessories
Fabric is used on the mantel to soften the look of the fireplace, to add interest to the walls and disguise the tops of the speakers (at right).
- fabric for lampshades: Hancock Fabrics
- tin/leather vases on mantel: Big Lots - #14534000, #86229042
$81 - Chandelier
A vintage-looking light fixture adds ambiant lighting in one corner.
- light fixture: The Home Depot - Hampton Bay, #385-138
$19 - Window Treatment
The small window is decorated with a lace curtain on a tension rod hidden behind a scalloped wood cornice. Craft beads are used to highlight the points on the scallop.
- wood beads: Lara's Crafts - 7/8" wooden apple, V10112 75424610-3772
$32 - Credenza and Baskets
The existing changing table is replaced with a credenza (finished like the CD cabinet), which offers more storage and function. Baskets are placed underneath to hold toys.
- credenza: thrift store
$500 - Total Cost
See how a lackluster dining room gets a French country makeover.
The Double Take team recreates a $138,000 eclectic living room for less than $2,200.(10 photos)
Candice takes a room from cluttered and unused to multifunctional and sleek.(2 photos)