Understated Elegant Bedroom
Guest designer Stuart Piontek transforms an outdated bedroom into a cozy yet formal bedroom.
- More from Sensible Chic
Filed under: Master Bedrooms, Makeover, Traditional, Tables, Furniture, Beds, Chairs, Design Style
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Host Brooke Channon tours a sophisticated, exquisite bedroom created by designer Annie Bowman, who used lush furnishings and dramatic contrasts to create this expensive designer look. The room is anchored by a calm and soothing bed that features four ebony posts and an upholstered headboard.
Guest designer Stuart Piontek helped direct the transformation of a drab, outdated bedroom into a cozy and stylish retreat with the following steps:
- Painted the walls a light cool hue (Benjamin Moore: Summer Showers).
- Hung curtains with dark contrasting panels.
- Replaced platform bed with four-post bed with neoclassical lines; upholstered the headboard to resemble the Inspiration bed.
- Dressed the bed with a budget coverlet and pillows.
- Painted a plain nightstand with a dark finish inspired by the alder wood Inspiration piece; added a mirror over the nightstand and a lamp, orchids and other accessories to complete the left side table.
- On the right side table (a simple linen-draped round table) placed another lamp, a botanical print and accessories.
- Created a reading area using a chair dressed with an off-white slipcover, an inexpensive side table and an elegant flower arrangment.
The Bottom Line
To see where the savings are, take a look at this direct cost comparison of some Inspiration Room items and creatively comparable one used in the Makeover Room:
Custom linen pillows, $1,060 / Sensible pillows, $80
French dresser, modern silver lamp, accessories, $6,300 / Plain nightstand, Sensible lamp, accessories, $350
Linen-covered bedside table, accessories, $2,900 / Fabric-covered table, accessories, $160
Down-stuffed wing chair, $2,940 / Chair with off-white slipcover, $250
chair (Jennylund), black velvet curtain (Peri), cream curtains (Gullmaj) - IKEA
small metal table - Ross
silver vase with roses - Restoration Hardware
black vase, seeded ball, mirror, rod, brackets, finials, clip rings - Expo Design Center
white dust ruffle, white matelasse sham, round plywood table with taupe linen cloth - Bed, Bath and Beyond
white duvet, chinoiserie vase, small wooden box - Marshalls
cream pillow - Pier 1 Imports
traditional neutral beige lamps - Lowe's
square shades - Pottery Barn
Getting a high-end look for less is easy when you learn these basic design and decorating principles excerpted from the book...Advertisement
HGTV Inspiration Newsletter