Transform a Dreary Dining Room With Cottage Garden Style
Host Joan Steffend and designer and Kim Wahl add a new cottage garden style to a rather stark dining room.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
- The walls are given a graphic punch with a fun paint technique. Wahl creates square "friskets" — clear protective overlays — out of Con-Tact paper and adheres them to the wall to create a faux dentil molding. She paints the walls a raspberry color, then removes the friskets to reveal the original light green base coat underneath.
- The dining chairs are enhanced with floral slipcovers. Wahl creates a second tabletop out of birch and paints a colorful floral design on top. Rubber mats are placed in between the two tops to stabilize the new one. The perimeter of the original tabletop is hidden behind a piece of painted canvas stapled to the new painted top.
- New floral shades dress up the chandelier.
- A piece of remnant linoleum is painted for a fun floorcloth. Wahl applies several coats of a clear sealer to protect the design.
- Checkered wallpaper is applied to the backs of the china cabinets to help them blend in better with the new colorful design.
- Storage comes in the form of a painted chest. Wahl paints an old dark chest with coordinating colors and adds black shelf brackets and a quartered fence post for the legs.
Itemized Design Elements
$80 - wall treatment (Hirshfield's: Cherry Rose AC127N, China Pink 7905D, Marshland Green 8154, Restorative White CW025W)
$70 - slipcovers (pattern for chair slipcover: Hancock Fabrics - McCalls #750; piping: Jo-Ann Fabrics - Wrights, Berry #084)
$42 - tabletop (canvas - art supply store)
$47 - lampshades (Jo-Ann Fabrics: Hollywood Lights - #360-2463)
$85 - floorcloth
$29 - wallpaper (Hirshfield's: Bewster - #134679P11)
$8 - valance
$57 - trunk (re-use it center)
$15 - wrought-iron wall art (Pier 1)
$10 - plate rack (TJ Maxx)
$10 - knobs
$9 - ornaments
$8 - craft boxes
$4 - grape ornaments
$472 - Total Cost
A stark space turns into a warm and welcoming Williamsburg-style dining room with the addition of rich color and traditional...(4 photos)
The Design on a Dime team starts from scratch on this dining room makeover. They build custom furniture and built-in units and...(6 photos)