Elegant Table Settings for All Occasions
Find out how to use easy-to-find linens, glassware and china to set a beautiful table.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Have you ever noticed that a well-set table seems to make food taste better? Even simple meals can seem like culinary delights when served in an interesting setting.
Setting a table is, in many ways, a process of layering. Table linens might be considered the first layer. Traditionally, tablecloths were used only for formal occasions and were made of lace or silk damask. Well, times have changed. While lace and damask are still appropriate for formal table settings, all sorts of other options are now also available. Here are a few:
The second layer of your table consists of your dishes, glassware and utensils. Consider these options:
- To make your meal more festive, why not use the good china even if it?s not a special occasion? (But then, what could be more special than sitting down to a meal with family and friends?)
- Mix and match different sets of china. You might serve salad on green dessert plates and serve the rest of the meal on floral-patterned china. Or you might alternate the dinner plates of one set with the salad plates of another.
- Mismatched pieces of china can create a very interesting collection. Try finding a variety of pieces in as many patterns as you can. Just remember to limit the colors to two?blue and white, for example.
- Glassware can add impact to a table setting, and it can be found in a variety of shapes, styles and patterns.
The accessories are the final layer of a table setting. A few ideas:
- Floral centerpieces, assortments of candles and arrangements of fruit all can help to make a visually appealing table.
- You can use pieces of glassware to create interesting centerpieces. Fill a clear glass pitcher with fresh blooms from your garden, or use compotes as bases for pillar candles. To make a unique centerpiece, fill a large clear bowl with water and float candles in it. Add colored floral marbles to the bottom of the bowl and your centerpiece will be even more dramatic.
(Shari Hiller is co-author with Matt Fox of Real Decorating for Real People.)
Setting the table for Thanksgiving guests need not be a chore. Check out our tips for setting either a formal or informal...
Beautiful table settings are a great way to take your outdoor entertaining to the next level. Be inspired by these tablescapes...(4 photos)
Table settings aren't just for parties and holidays. Any old day is an excuse to have something beautiful to eat on. Check out...(5 photos)