Sports Theme Hobby Room
A storage room is turned into a fun hangout for two young boys.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Before: Old Storage Room
Connie and Karl have two energetic boys, Scott and Grant, who love shooting hoops and playing with their three dogs. They have an old storage room filled with games and books that they want to make functional and fun. After listening to what the boys have in mind, designer Kenneth Brown presents a design plan for a new hobby room involving a media center for video games and movies, a basketball hoop for indoor activity and a long cushy sofa bench where they can do homework and relax. The new room will be kid friendly, dog friendly and 'parent-approved.'
Kenneth's Design Tips:
- Use woven chenille in a room where durability is key. The upholstered cushions are covered in a green woven chenille that will stand up to years of use.
- Use a rug to change the look of a room. Since the boys are into sports, Kenneth incorporates a rug that looks like a basketball court.
- Use bright accessories to add excitement. Orange-colored furnishings add a colorful pop to the navy and green palette.
- When designing for children, keep it practical. At first, Kenneth proposes a pull-down TV screen in front of the French doors. Connie convinces Kenneth to change course with a plasma TV because she knows the boys will be in and out of the room often.
- Distressing wood can hide furniture damage. The boys help Kenneth distress the built-in benches with nuts and bolts to give the brand-new pieces a lived-in look.
See how a lackluster dining room gets a French country makeover.
A cluttered, generic-looking family room is remixed into a comfy country-style space.(7 photos)
An organizing pro turns an inhospitable room into a welcoming, functional space.