Rusty Mica Luminaria
Learn how to create this rusted mica votive holder to add to the decor in your home.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Project by Monica Heeren.
Materials and Tools:
Shellac Bond mica sheet
Sophisticated Finishes rust antiquing kit
glass votive cup
straight glass or empty soup can
1. Measure and cut mica into two pieces: 4-1/2" x 9" and 4-1/2" x 2".
2. Place your design under the mica and paint the silhouette using step one of the rust paint kit (Iron Metallic Surfacer).
3. Paint a 1/8" trim on all edges of mica, front and back. Let dry.
4. Heat the large piece of mica with a heat gun and slowly mold it around the water glass or soup can. Use an old potholder to protect your hands and to help ease the mica into shape.
5. Apply a liberal amount of glue to the side edges of the 4-1/2" x 2" piece of mica.
6. Position mica within the curve of the molded piece of mica, closing the off the opening. Let dry in face down position.
Use paint and candle wax to instantly age a new, unfinished piece of furniture. Follow these step-by-step instructions.