Retro Office/Guest Room
The design team helps homeowners turn a room into a home office and guest room.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Homeowners Elyse Springer and Dave Patry have a guest room that requires some attention. Elyse is returning to school and needs a study space, however, the room still plays host to family and friends and needs to function as a guest room as well.
Host Kristan Cunningham takes a look at the dual-function room and takes note on what needs to be changed. Currently, the room is a blank slate and needs some color. Elyse definitely needs a desk, task lighting and storage for paperwork if this room is going to be an office. She has a favorite retro chair that she'd like to be worked into the design. The bedding is too bright and the window treatments are bland so Cunningham adds those to her design to-do list.
Here's how the design team creates a hip look in this dual-purpose room:
- The white walls are painted a warm mustard-olive tone that acts as a neutral to the fabrics and furnishings.
- Since the room is used more for lounging, studying and reading, the bed is pushed against the wall and lined with pillows and capped off with a bookshelf for a cool reading nook. Cunningham makes bolster pillows with gathered ends using foam tubes, fabric and twine. She cuts a piece of fabric to wrap around the tube, sews another short panel onto each end, then hems the two long sides. She stitches a small channel onto the two ends, threads the twine through, then brings the long sides together (right-sides together) and stitches them closed. The fabric is turned right-side out and slipped over the foam tube; the twine is pulled taut to close up the fabric and tucked inside the small opening.
Furniture - $555
- desk chair: Sunset Orange
- silver rolling cart: House of Paul's Furniture
Bedding - $185
- duvet: Bed, Bath and Beyond - Full/Queen Mini Duvet Set, Green 70573003059
Lighting - $81
- art spotlights: IKEA - Fryan, 17796/Silver
Window Treatments - $66
- green with mustard-colored dots: Michael Levine
- window shades: Linens 'n Things - Redi Shade, White/750227002379
Linoleum Floor Covering - $56
- linoleum floor rug: Linoleum City
Paint and Supplies - $55
- paint: Behr - wall, Dry Sea Grass 360F-4; closet, Coriander Seed 370F-5A
Project Total - $998
Bradley and Aubrey Ryan have a new dining room with no style, so they've hired student designer Tamsinn Bellas Cowart to add...
This one room has many uses: dining room, office, playroom and family room. The Design on a Dime team maximizes the space while...(6 photos)
Karen McAloon helps coordinate the homeowners' old stuff and hand-me-downs into a stylishly modern living room.(7 photos)