Paint a Unique Footstool Design
Customize an inexpensive footstool with painted designs or auto pinstriping.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
unfinished footstool (Ikea, Frosta)
small artist's brush
4-5 rolls of auto detailing tape (various colors and widths)
1. If not painting the entire stool, roll painter's tape around the top of the legs of the stool to protect them from any paint drips.
2. Apply the primer to the seat. You can use a spray primer or brush on an oil-based primer. Let dry.
3. Apply the base coat of paint. Let dry. Both an oil-based or water-based paint will work, but a water-based paint dries faster.
3. Add desired designs to the stool. Some ideas are to use paint and a stencil, paint a freehand pattern, paint a name or phrase or add a unique pinstripe.
4. To create a pin-striping technique, start with rolls of auto detailing tape which comes in various colors and widths. Cut lengths of the tape, peel the backing and adhere to the stool as desired. Be sure to wrap the tape around the seat edge and underneath for a clean, finished look.
6. Since the footstool could experience heavy use, add two to three coats of polyurethane to protect the finish, according to the manufacturer's instructions.
Apply a layer of elegance to your laminate countertop with these step-by-step instructions.