An ordinary bedroom is transformed into an elegant retreat with a richly colored bed as its focal point.
- More from Sensible Chic
Filed under: Bedrooms, Nautical Theme, Gold, Headboard, Beds, Furniture, Decorating Theme, Design Style
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
The Inspiration Room
Host Brooke Channon introduces designer Robert Noble, who created a fantastic bedroom with an aquatic theme played out in the artwork and dreamy, water-washed finishes on furniture and accessories. Classic symmetry, antique textiles and 22-karat gold accents help make this a luxurious and elegant retreat with a richly colored bed as a focal point.
Transforming the Makeover Room
Designer Robert Noble guided the makeover of a rather ordinary looking bedroom with colorless linens and mismatched furniture into a unique and inviting room full of color and gleaming accents by taking the following steps:
- Traded the sheet-covered, padded headboard for a scrolled wood headboard with a chestnut finish. Instead of the fabric inset of the Inspiration bed, tall pillows add the look and texture of textiles.
- Dressed the bed with mottled gold sheets and a gold dupioni silk bed skirt and matching coverlet. Next came rust-colored Euro shams, ivory brocade cases with a floral design, and a rectangular chenille pillow with tassels.
- Re-covered a flea market turn-leg bench with coral fabric and placed it at the foot of the bed.
- Refinished two mahogany side tables with silver paint and dusts of gold paint and an antiquing glaze.
- Painted the base of a Lucite lamp gold and frosted the stacked spheres for a shimmering effect for the matching side table lamps.
- Accessorized the side tables with an orchid, book and fish sculpture; companion Japanese prints with an aquatic theme were hung over each table.
- Painted an inexpensive dresser first with chrome paint, then added mirrored panels to the front and sides that was mottled with silver paint.
- Hung an imported etched mirror over the silver dresser and accessorized the dresser with a camel bone box.
- Added a metallic finish to an urn-style lamp for the dresser.
- Stacked frosted crystal votive holders to create a tall candleholder.
- Placed a tall plant stand overflowing with ivy in the corner.
To see where the savings are, take a look at this direct cost comparison of some Inspiration Room items and the creatively comparable ones used in the Makeover Room:
Cotton-linen-silk moiré bed cover, $2,400 / Gold dupioni duvet, $100
Antique fabric pillows, $4,000 / Rust and brocade pillows, $225
Bench with antique leather, $4,000 / Turned-leg bench, $10
Watercolor artwork, $4,600 /Japanese prints, $160
Commode and accessories, $36,000 / Painted dresser and accessories, $560
wall paint (Shaker Beige) — Benjamin Moore
D'Orsay console tables — Bombay
acrylic ball lamps — Urban Outfitters
lampshades, urn-shaped lamp — Target
orchid container, urn — Michaels
bed — Levitz
bedding, duvet, candleholders — Bed, Bath & Beyond
coral pillows — Linens 'n' Things
camel bone box, Venetian style mirror — Via Diva
This master bedroom is simply designed and is in need of a transformation turn it into a space that inspires.
The design team helps homeowners turn a room into a home office and guest room.