A Luxurious Bedroom for Less
8 tips for making the most of your budget
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
If you dream of a space that's dressed to the nines but you need to decorate on a dime, follow these guidelines for high bedroom style on a budget.
1. When in doubt about color, choose taupe. The deeper the shade, the more drama it denotes.
2. Blend textures and tones, spending more on the most important element and less on the accent pieces. In the budget-friendly room pictured, a gold dupioni silk bedspread is complemented by less expensive pillows with interesting textures and embellishments.
3. Shop in your house before you go shopping. The nicest accessories are those with personal meaning. Find new uses for old things: Remove cups or bowls from the china cabinet and display them on shelves, or fill a glass vase with colored marbles from your childhood.
4. Fresh bamboo stalks are wonderfully compatible with Asian designs. Buy the tropical woody stems from a local florist and place them in water as you would cut flowers, and they'll continue to grow. They're low-maintenance and introduce soft organic lines to a room.
5. Metal accents don't have to match. It's fine to mix metals as long as they look organic and earthy and aren't overly polished.
6. When shopping for bed linens, keep your lifestyle in mind. Dry-clean-only fabrics may be impractical in a home with active kids, frequent guests and roaming pets. Instead, look for multiweave, washable fabrics that require less care.
7. To add bulk to a bed-for a more luxurious, hotel-like look-buy one comforter for sleeping and a separate decorative cover for the foot of the bed. Fold the decorative cover in half or thirds to add height, color and texture.
8. Though they're small details, hardware for doors and case goods can make a big difference in conveying a style; think of it as jewelry for your cabinets and furnishings. Look to home-improvement centers for a wide variety of styles that will suit your decor.
Natural fabrics, relaxing hues and stylish furniture make for a breezy oasis for newlyweds.
A clever use of color, pattern, sheen and shape turns a boring master bedroom into a haute place for a bachelor to rest.(17 photos)
Designing your dream bedroom can be a pricey endeavor, but with an open mind and can-do spirit, a designer-inspired bedroom...(12 photos)