Mock Box Cushion
Soften up a bench with a bit of padding.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
A simple mock box cushion provides softness and eases the rigid lines of a bench. Here’s how to make your own:
Materials and Tools:
1. The seams on a mock box cushion are located halfway around the sides, and the corners are simply clipped to square off the cover. Start by measuring the length of the foam across the top and halfway down each side, and add an inch for seam allowances.
2. Repeat in the opposite direction on the top of the foam, measuring from front to the back and halfway down the sides, and add 1½ inches for seam allowances.
3. Cut two pieces of fabric to the same size for the top and bottom of the cushion. With right sides together, pin the back edge of the cushion sections together, and then mark where the zipper will be located. Use a 1-inch seam allowance to stitch the pieces together, basting at the location of the zipper.
4. Install the zipper following the manufacturer’s directions for a centered zipper installation. With it open, place the right zipper tape face down on the seam allowance with the coil next to the seam and pin. Starting at the bottom of the zipper, machine-baste the right zipper tape in place through the zipper tape and seam allowance only. Close the zipper and keep the pull tab up. Extend the left seam allowance; pin and machine-baste the zipper tape in place. Topstitch on the outside of the cushion and remove the machine basting.
5. With right sides facing, pin and sew the remaining sides and the front edge together using a half-inch seam allowance, and then press the seams open.
6. To create a mitered corner, separate the layers of fabric and fold them in such a way as to line up a side seam with the front seam. Center the seams and pin in place. Measure the depth of the foam and draw a line the same measurement as the foam, perpendicular to the seam. Stitch along the line and trim the fabric close to the stitching. Repeat this for all four corners.
7. Turn the slipcover right side out; insert the foam and close the zipper.
Want to learn how to tie knots like rock climbers and sailors? Here is a fun project to try out your skills.
Wow your holiday dinner guests with an eye-catching, nature-inspired gift box centerpiece. Because it's taller than it is wide,...