Little Girls' Bedroom Makeover
Quilts, rug, art and new paint make a bedroom more expressive of the sisters who share it.
Filed under: Kids' Bedrooms, Pink, Headboard, Makeover, Beds, Window Treatments, Bedrooms, Furniture
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Host Joan Steffend and designer Krista Crawford decorate a bedroom shared by two sisters.
- The walls are painted soft pink to start the new design.
- Two twin beds are outfitted with matching headboards made out of MDF (medium-density fiberboard) and newel posts.
- The beds are dressed with patchwork quilts sewn out of a variety of new and old fabrics.
- A new woven rug adds softness to the floor.
- The closet area is dressed up with fabric panels and a valance made out of pastel-colored napkins.
- Pink wooden bins are used to organize the bookshelf.
- Antique coloring book pictures are used as wall art above the bookshelf. Crawford colored the pages with oil pastels, attached them to thin boards and aged them with face bronzer. Underneath the pictures, Crawford hand-writes "Among the world's most treasured gifts, among its precious pearls, God smiles upon the world and sends us little girls." White molding is used to frame the vignette.
- Crawford creates a lampshade cover out of handkerchiefs sewn into tiny dresses.
- The final touch is two wall-mounted metal mailboxes placed outside the room. Crawford paints them pink and attaches a bird's nest (from a craft store) to each.
How-to: Custom Headboard
1. Cut MDF to appropriate size for your bed.
2. Draw out the pattern and cut with a jig saw.
3. Attach two half newel posts (flat on back and turned on front) to the front.
4. Paint white.
5. Cut an oval out of a piece of paper and trace onto the front of the headboard. Paint inside the oval and allow to dry.
6. Either freehand draw an initial in the center or trace from an enlarged copy; paint. Enhance the edges and initial with your own design.
Itemized Design Elements
$19 - paint (Behr: Circus Pink - IB30-2)
$63 - two headboards
$25 - sheets
$20 - batting
$73 - fabric
$99 - rug (Pottery Barn Kids: chenille 485/primary)
$58 - panels and rod (Pottery Barn Kids: panels - 84LPK)
$21 - three wooden bins
$2 - board
$26 - molding
$24 - mailboxes (mailboxes: The Home Depot - The Solar Group, HB16; nests: Michaels - Country Market, #029915; birds Michaels - Country Market, #309963)
Total Cost -$430