Kim's Top 10 Style Secrets
Design diva Kim Myles shares tips to help you maximize the style in your space.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
1. Paint is the top tool in my arsenal. It's cost-effective and absolutely changes the personality of even the most difficult room or furniture item.
2. When using bold colors, always ground them with neutrals. Splashes of chocolate brown, pure white or even beige can act as visual palette cleansers and keep vivid hues from becoming overwhelming.
3. Don't want to paint? Never underestimate the power of an area rug to effect change in a space. A 9' x12' rug featuring a great pattern or color can be just as stimulating on the ground as it would be on a wall.
- Natural elements such as a bowl of fruit, small vases of flowers and cut branches add a beautiful, organic touch to any room.
4. For me, nature is the key to making a space feel beautiful and alive. A Myles of Style makeover isn't complete without the addition of fresh flowers or branches of some sort.
5. If you have to prioritize the projects in a space, start with the windows. A poorly dressed window brings down the tone of an entire room, so proper hardware and drapery materials are very important.
6. Mirrors are the perfect solution for the art challenged. Three rectangular mirrors hung side by side with 4 inches of space between them is an amazingly effective way to gain interest and reflected light in any space.
7. Let there be light! Every room needs at least three light sources to feel warm and gracious, so table and floor lamps are your friends.
8. Large-scale furniture is expensive and a long-term investment. Skip trendy patterns and choose a neutral palette to get the most bang for your buck. Grays, browns and tans will work in your home no matter what other colors and patterns you add over time.
9. If you can't decide on a color palette for a particular room, go shopping in your closet. Most of us gravitate toward the same two to three colors and seeing them hanging side by side is a simple way to get inspiration.
10. Have fun with your home! It is not a museum for friends and family to visit; it's where you live your life. Listen to your heart when it comes to making choices, and you won't go wrong.
Get Angelo's favorite ideas for getting ready and through the holiday season with limited stress and a whole lot of fun.
Prepare your home for resale and make it marketable to potential buyers by following these 10 smart and simple tips straight...(10 photos)
Click on the pink dots to see why these 8 rooms could use a little help in the design department.(26 photos)