Inexpensive Master Bedroom Makeover
Host Joan Steffend and designer Nadia Ramirez tackle a bland, undecorated master bedroom with pastel colors and luxurious fabric.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
- Three walls are painted a subdued sage green and the fourth wall is painted a light blue. Ramirez paints a large freeform diamond pattern using the light green paint, which creates a subtle contrast. (Be sure to measure the wall first in order to space out each diamond accordingly.)
- The bed ensemble consists of a brass headboard and a luxurious damask set that contains a coverlet, shams and pillow and skirt in robin's egg blue and gold.
- Three queen flat sheets are used to create drapes for the French doors and window. Ramirez stitches simple rod pockets at the top with a header for a more formal look.
- The small dresser is freshened with white paint and wallpaper leftovers decoupaged to the drawer fronts. Options for aging the look include applying a coat of glaze or sanding the finish to reveal the paint underneath.
- A homemade bookcase is placed on top of the homeowner's antique desk to transform it into a project/writing station. Dowel rods are attached inside for holding spools of ribbon; the inside of the doors are upholstered with batting, fabric and ribbon to create a spot for holding photographs and notes.
- The homeowner's plant stand is painted blue and trimmed with black fringe for a stylish night table.
- A $25 candle chandelier is placed above the bed for instant romance.
- Five black-and-white toile plates create a focal point on the wall above the bed.
- Handmade envelopes created out of wallpaper and wrapping paper scraps serve as accessories on the writing desk.
Itemized Design Elements
$50 - paint (Restoration Hardware: - Sycamore Green and Atmosphere Blue)
$20 - brass headboard (garage sale)
$145 - queen-sized comforter, bed skirt and pillow shams (T.J. Maxx: Monmarte - #02009)
$45 - three damask-patterned blue sheets for window treatments (T.J. Maxx: Westpoint Stevens Grand Partrician)
$40 - curtain rods (Hancock Fabrics: Lauren Hancock collection - SRPG H040
$9 - vintage tiebacks (salvage store)
$63 - shelf unit
$9 - fringe and candle
$25 - candle chandelier (salvage store)
$5 - candles
$21 - plates and hangers (Marshalls: plates; Jo-Ann: hangers)
$20 - print (T.J. Maxx)
$30 - lamp (Marshalls)
$7 - frame
$489 - Total Cost
Teal walls disappear forever in this romantic room makeover that includes a two-part paint finish, lamp ideas and more.
See how a boring master bedroom is transformed into a very cozy space.
In the chilly northeast, designer Genevieve Snyder brings a bit of Mediterranean style to a boring master bedroom.(4 photos)