An Inexpensive Way to Update Kitchen Cabinets
Flat-panel cabinet doors are covered with wallpaper and distressed-wood molding for a French country look.
- More from Carter Can
Filed under: Kitchen Cabinets, Kitchen Design, Cabinets, French Style, Kitchens, How To, Design Style
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
four sheets 1/2-inch medium-density fiberboard (MDF)
ten 8-foot lengths of 1/4"x2-1/2" pine wood
three rolls of wallpaper
3/4-inch pin nails
orbital sander with 220 grit paper
1. Measure all the existing cabinet doors.
2. Use a table saw and chop saw to cut down the 1/2-inch MDF to the exact measurements of your old doors.
3. Apply a coat of primer to all the 1/4-inch pine strips then let dry.
4. Cut sections of wallpaper to fit onto your cut pieces of MDF, making sure to leave a 2-1/2-inch border around the entire door.
5. Spread wallpaper paste onto the center of each door.
6. Apply the wallpaper and use the plastic scraper to remove any air bubbles.
7. To make the cabinet stiles (vertical trim), measure the length of the door then use a chop saw to cut two pieces of 1/4-inch pine.
8. To make the cabinet rails (horizontal trim), measure the width of each door, minus 2-1/2 inches for the stiles. Cut two pieces of the 1/4-inch pine to size.
9. Attach the 1/4-inch pine stiles and rails to the exterior of the doors, creating a picture frame border around the wallpaper. Use 3/4-inch pin nails to fasten.
10. Repeat steps 4 through 9 for all your doors.
11. Paint edges and borders of each door.
12. Use the laminate trimmer (with a 1/4-inch bit) across all sides of the doors to create a 1/4-inch round-over edge.
13. Lightly sand over the white paint, corners and seams with the orbital sander and 220 grit paper. Don?t press too hard or you?ll loose too much of the white paint.
14. Repeat steps 12 and 13 for all the doors
15. Using a Euro-hinge jig, bore out two holes on every door for the hinges. Follow directions for your specific hinges.
16. Attach the hinges to the doors using the provided screws.
17. Attach the doors to the cabinets using the provided screws.
Get a budget-friendly way to update your kitchen cabinets with paint and a simple glaze treatment.