Before and After: Industrial-Style Bedroom
Two brothers get a bedroom that's spacious and stylish.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Host Joan Steffend and designer Keri Beyer create a cool industrial-looking bedroom for two brothers to share.
Before: Boring Blue
The brothers' bedroom was a sea of blue and it lacked style. Here's how the room was transformed:
$70 — Paint
The light blue walls are painted white with the back wall given more pop with a coat of bright red. The trim and closet doors are painted dark blue.
- white wall paint: Maple Island Hardware — True Test satin finish
- blue wall paint (custom color): Maple Island Hardware — True Test satin finish
- red wall paint (custom color): Maple Island Hardware — True Test satin finish
$24 — Valances
Window wells are used for industrial-style window treatments.
- window wells: Menard's — #4333651
$71 — Headboards
The headboards are created out of plywood and roof flashing and trimmed out with blue-painted molding. The flashing is attached to the plywood with heavy-duty adhesive.
- flashing: Maple Island Hardware
- four 9' x 12" magnet sheets: Jo-Ann Fabrics — #4026027
$70 — Bedding
- two red pillow shams: Target — Home, #060100198 Garnet STD Sham
- two full comforters: Target — Home, #06100162 Garnet/Khaki
- blue accent pillows: Target — #067080836 Chintz/Navy
$10 — Tray Table
- tray table: Wal-Mart — #7874262902
$101 — Dressers
The original antique dressers are replaced with matching assemble-yourself blond-wood dressers.
- four-drawer dressers: Kmart — #2998663437
$41 — Desk and Shelving
The area between the dressers is connected with a desktop and above is a magnetic bulletin board and two sets of shelving. The bulletin board is assembled out of leftover plywood, flashing and trim.
- four Z brackets for shelving: Menard's
$4 — Speakers
The big speakers are spray-painted silver on the sides and the fronts are disguised with door screening material (also silver) cut to size.
- spray paint: Maple Island Hardware — Rustoleum, Aluminum #7515
$8 — Cone Lamp
More metal flashing is used to create an accent lamp for the corner. Holes are notched into the flashing to help distribute the light, then the metal is formed into a cone shape and secured with screws. A lamp kit is paired with a wooden base and inserted into the bottom of the cone.
$98 — Accessories
- silver knobs: Menard's — #2247434
- two silver clip lamps: Target — #074020579
- bedside lamp: Target — Blue halogen Gooseneck, #074020579074020552
- silver cutout desk lamp: Target — #074020552
- brushed chrome clock: Target — #07410064
$497 — Total Cost
See how a designer dresses up one couple's bedroom.
A plain master bedroom gets a whole new layout design in a cute country style.(2 photos)
For less than $50, this master bedroom goes from boring to classic with a timeless design.(4 photos)