How to Convert Empty Studio Space Into a Holiday Wonderland
A young couple needs to get their home ready for the holidays and a family Christmas party.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
MDF or wood if you wish to stain it
1x1 for the lip piece
metal brackets to extend from ceiling
paint and finish spray
boxes that will fit on the desired shelf size
plastic to line
? While the shelf may not be very heavy, check for ceiling joists for better support. This will help determine where the supports will connect with the ceiling.
? Choose boxes that match the color of your shelf. You could wrap them in paper or paint them.
1. Build the shelf to desired size.
2. Trim the 1x1 so it surrounds the shelf on all sides, creating a 1/2-inch lip. Attach to shelf.
3. Paint the shelf desired color. More intense and refined finishes require more time for drying. In this project, they chose to make it appear to be iron and used paints to create that effect.
4. Suspend the shelf from the ceiling about 40 inches above the table height.
5. Line the boxes with plastic to make them watertight. Soak the floral foam in water before putting in the boxes. Note: This will make the foam very heavy.
6. Place the foam in the box and assemble flowers.
7. Secure the shelf to the ceiling and put in floral boxes.