How to Build a Loft Bed
Follow these step-by-step instructions and create more floor space.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
5-inch lag bolts
3-inch pan-head steel screws
2-inch deck screws
¼-inch birch plywood
oriented strand board (OSB)
1. Measure the mattress, adding a couple of inches on both sides for sheets and blankets and adding about 2 feet to the length to create a sitting platform.
2. Create the top frame by attaching one 2-by-4 to the end wall and one to the side wall with lag bolts through the boards and into wall studs. Attach the front board and the other side board by driving pan-head steel screws through the boards and into the wall rails.
3. Make a column to support the loft platform by attaching two 2-by-4's at a 90-degree angle to the outer unattached corner with pan-head steel screws.
4. To help support the top deck of the platform, use metal connectors (typically used in deck construction). Place one every 12 inches along both the long wall rail and the front rail (eight were used in the featured project for plenty of support). Make sure they are lined up and slide center 2-by-4 supports into the connector slots.
5. Cut the plywood to size so that it fits on top of the frame, and secure it with deck screws. Attach a sheet of birch plywood under the platform to make it more attractive.
6. Attach a piece of oriented strand board to the back wall and extending to the support column to close in the end under the loft.
7. Attach 2-by-4's to the wall horizontally and the oriented strand board on the loft end at the desired step heights. Cut pieces of oriented strand board for the steps and secure them to the 2-by-4's. Note: The bottom of the first step is left open for extra storage.
8. Attach pieces of poplar for the front facing and to create a safety railing.
9.Prime the loft and let dry. Use semigloss paint in desired color to finish it, allowing it to dry between layers.
A loft bed is a great space-saving solution for kids' rooms. Loft beds give your child a cool place to sleep and a handy place...