How To: Creating A Holographic Checkerboard Backsplash
Create a checkerboard kitchen backsplash using stick-on holographic tiles. Mixing colors and designs gives your kitchen visual appeal.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
holographic sticker sheets (available at arts and crafts stores)
large sheets of paper or cardboard to use as a template
Plexiglas (available through window or glass dealers)
mounting finish screws and grommets
circular saw with diamond blade
drill with screw bit
1. Measure the dimensions of your backsplash. Using a large sheet of paper or cardboard, transfer the measurements to the paper, and then use scissors to cut a template. Set the template in place and tweak it until it fits the backsplash area perfectly.
2. Cut the sticker sheets into squares sized to fit your backsplash (3- to 4-inch squares work well). You can use the same color or add more texture and interest by mixing colors.
3. Peel off the backing and begin sticking the squares to the backsplash in a checkerboard pattern. Leave 1/4" between the stickers to create a visual "grout line."
4. Transfer the shape of the backsplash onto the Plexiglas using the template. Use a circular saw fitted with a diamond blade to cut the Plexiglas to fit the backsplash. (Follow all safety precautions when using a saw.) If you'd prefer not to cut the Plexiglas yourself, take the measurements to your window or glass dealer and have them cut it to fit.
5. Once the Plexiglas fits the backsplash area, drill holes in the corners. Mount it to the wall with finishing screws and grommets. Different hardware will give your backsplash different looks.
Give your kitchen a fun and functional look by adding personalized magnets to reflect any decor.
This one-of-a-kind idea lets you display your favorite collection, from silverware to shells, in a 3-D collage.
Create a beautiful mosaic kitchen made from broken china plates and cups. This unique idea lets you create any pattern you like...