Handcrafted Decorative Mirror
Make a textured framed mirror using spackling compound and colorful paints with these step-by-step instructions.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Erika Matyok from Philadelphia.
Erika lives in an artsy community in Philadelphia. She teaches art to children and wants to go into art therapy. Her murals and other work can be seen in certain playgrounds in the area. In this project, she makes a creative framed mirror that is textured with spackling compound, original stamped shapes, and colorful paints.
Materials and Tools:
finished frame pieces
clear spray varnish
1. Choose pieces of wood and assemble into frame. Prime unfinished wooden frame. Let dry.
2. Meanwhile, make two stamps: Cut blocks of crafting foam 1/4 inch thick. Draw design with pencil, freehand, on foam. Cut around design with craft knife and glue foam onto cardboard or thin wood to stabilize. Allow to dry.
3. Using putty knife, apply thin, even layer of spackling compound to entire frame. Wet foam stamp with water and press gently into compound. Lift stamp and repeat until desired pattern is created on entire frame. Let stamped spackling compound dry overnight.
4. Paint entire frame with base color. Allow to dry.
5. Paint each stamped design one of two colors. Allow to dry.
6. Apply second coat, mixing paint with faux glaze--about 1/3 paint and 2/3 gold sparkly glaze.
7. Using cloth, wipe glaze paint entire top surface of frame. The depth created by the stamp will allow for gold paint to remain in pattern and wipe off top surface. Allow to dry.
8. Apply final coat of clear spray varnish. Allow to dry.
9. Attach pre-cut mirror to frame using glazier's points.
Viewers share how they make their own holiday decor. Follow these tips to make your own holiday decor.