Gypsy Inspired Family Room
Rich fabrics and warm colors help give a large, boring living room some personality.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
The Inspiration Room
Host Brooke Channon introduces designer Allison Murphy, who created a dramatic bohemian look in a family room using rich fabrics and warm colors. Feminine details like a hand-painted metal lampshade and glossy pillows combine with masculine elements like oversized furniture in textured fabrics and a deep jewel-tone color palette. The centerpiece of the room is the couch covered with seven fabrics and a fabulous assortment of pillows.
Transforming the Makeover Room
Designer Stuart Piontek guided the makeover of a large living room with an oversized sectional, no identifiable design scheme and zero personality into a richly colored and inviting room full of pillows and a sense of identity.
- Painted the walls a warm brown cork color.
- Installed woven paper shades on the windows that have the same tone as the walls.
- Left a console table in a warm wood tone and ornate curves in the room and hung a traditional landscape painting over it. Two gold-tone lamps with tassels and an ornate bowl filled with fresh green apples finish the look.
- Bought a sofa and loveseat in a green-taupe color with rich tapestry pillows. More pillows were added, all in a color scheme of red, green, gold and brown. The added pillows are wildly different from each other, combining lots of texture, sheen and trim. A taupe throw finishes the couch.
- Positioned a deep red and olive green area rug in front of the couch.
- On the rug, placed an iron-base coffee table with whimsical curved lines and a glass top, then added a richly colored paisley throw and gold square platter.
- Dressed the loveseat with pillows and a throw in rich shades of red and placed a bronze floor lamp with a paisley shade and beading beside it.
- Used a scrolled metal table with glass top beside the loveseat.
The Bottom Line
To see where the savings are, take a look at this direct cost comparison of some Inspiration Room items and the creatively comparable ones used in the Makeover Room:
Fireplace painting, $9,000 / Artwork, $175
Console, lamps, accessories, $3,300 / Creative alternative, $115
Italian Chenille couch and pillows, $5,800 / New couch and pillows, $650
Hand-forged iron coffee table and accessories, $2,600 / Iron and glass table, $215
side table, coffee table — Levitz
floor lamp, console bowl — Lamps Plus
red chenille throw, decorative pillows, candlestick lamps, rug — Marshall's
chenille throw — Ross
paisley scarf-like throw, gold platter (Capiz), sugared apples and plums — Z Gallerie
silk-like lampshades — Target
paper woven shades — Pier 1 Imports
A designer turns this couple's living room into a fabulous yet functional space for both their children and Gary's co-workers...
Inspired by the natural hues of Florida palms and shells, this family room is transformed with color.(2 photos)
This newlyweds' living room gets a color makeover. It combines traditional colors from the 1920s with inspiration from camping...(2 photos)