An uninviting bedroom becomes an elegant master retreat.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Host Brooke Channon works with designer Robert Noble, who created the serene, elegant look of an expensive Greco bedroom and guided the redecoration of the makeover room. The contemporary inspiration room combines elements from ancient Greece, China and Japan. Neutral walls and carpet serve as the background for an unusual leather strap bed, Japanese handpainted silk screen and a white gold-inlay armoire.
Transforming the Makeover Room
Below are the steps designer Robert Noble took to transform an uninviting bedroom with unmatched furniture and a cluttered look into an elegant master retreat:
- Painted the green walls a soft camel color (Benjamin Moore: Shaker Beige).
- Streamlined the windows by replacing white drapes with taupe Roman shades.
- Placed inexpensive natural fiber rugs on the wood floor.
- Placed the dark wood sleigh bed on an angle in the corner.
- Dressed the bed with white sheets and cases, a taupe sateen duvet cover, white ribbed shams and camel chenille throw.
- Refinished a large armoire by painting the frame black and the doors in a faux burled wood; installed molding with a metal look as a decorative element in the center of the doors and removed the bottom drawers for a lighter, open look at the bottom. The armoire was placed in the opposite corner at the foot of the bed.
- Refinished nesting tables in faux burled wood to use as a side table and accented it with a pot filled with decorative tall grass and stacked magazines.
- Placed a floor lamp with stretched fabric shade behind the nesting tables.
- Painted a long, low cabinet black and installed brass Greco-Roman hardware. The top was dressed with two tall white pedestal bowls filled with coconuts.
- Hung four Oriental panels with handpainted figures on gold leaf above the console.
The Bottom Line
To see where the savings are, take a look at this direct cost comparison of some Inspiration Room items and the creatively comparable ones used in the Makeover Room:
Italian linens, $4,500 / Cotton sateen bedding, $270
Burled wood and gold inlay armoire, $14,400 / Repainted armoire, $285
Walnut side table and lamp, $7,700 / Nesting tables and lamp, $330
Dark oak commode and accessories, $12,475 / Painted black console and accessories, $150
Chinese cabinet, carved wood bowl IMG
nesting tables, floor lamp and shade Lamps Plus
sheet set, comforter, taupe chenille throw Marshalls
pillow shams, taupe sateen duvet Bed, Bath and Beyond
Chinese panels Pier 1 Imports
sisal rug IKEA
Color and shine are essential when going for the ultimate glamorous look. Learn how Jonathan Adler accomplishses that with a...