Garage to Multipurpose Room
A garage gets transformed into a livable space.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
A jewel-toned color palette and elegant fabrics transform the under-utilized room.
This bare-bones room was previously a garage and now the owner wants to turn it into a livable space.
Kristan Cunningham, Dave Sheinkopf and Spencer Anderson give the unfinished room some deserved design attention--here's how it all comes together:
Furniture — $309
- A rattan chest is repurposed into a coffee table. Two small bookcases are placed on either side of the desk for more accessible storage. A side chair is updated with a new cushion and back pillow. (storage table by desk: IKEA — Rast Bedside Table, 44361109; rattan chest: HomeGoods — 063105)
- Floating shelves flanking the futon make room for accessories.
Fabric Treatments — $285
- The laundry area is hidden behind silk curtains on a hospital track. Another panel is used to disguise the sprinker controls on an adjacent wall. Pillows on the futon are covered in peacock blue velvet, green silk and a broad stripe in multiple jewel tones. (curtains: Target — Yellow/gold 068030176; pillow fabric: Michael Levine; hospital track: McMurray; fabric: Fabric Outlet, Jo-Ann Fabrics)
Art and Accessories — $256
- Striped fabric is used to cover three cork bulletin boards, which act as functional art above the antique desk. (cork boards: IKEA — Chris Noticebrd, 15670800)
Lighting — $108
- Anderson constructs a hanging light out of wood rounds and silk fabric. The wood is covered with stainless-steel laminate then assembled with electrical components. Holes are drilled into the top disk to allow for heat ventilation. Hook-and-loop tape holds the fabric to the perimeter. Brown ribbon is used to create a crisp line. (silk fabric: Michael Levine)
Paint and Supplies — $41
- The walls are painted a plum color for a dramatic backdrop. (wall paint: Behr - Wild Raisin, S-G-700)
Project Total — $999
Host Karen McAloon helps these homeowners redesign their living room into a contemporary, young design.(6 photos)
Organizing pro Kristin Long uses her expertise to shape up one family's garage.(4 photos)