Family Room Enhanced With Country Style for Less Than $175
This boring space is in need of a transformation to turn it into a colorful country family room.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Host Joan Steffend and designer Nan Sloan freshen up an all-beige family room with a country theme.
Before the makeover this space was beige and boring with no defined style. Now the space is colorful and country. See how this family room transformation took place.
- The walls above the pine paneling are painted a rich barn red color to liven up the space.
- A wall-to-wall shelf is added above the bank of windows to hold an array of the homeowner's country-themed accessories.
- The sofas are updated with new seat and back cushions covered in a collage of complementary fabrics.
- Sloan switches the legs on the homeowner's two tables, making one a low bench seat and another a tall side table. They distress the oak finish with hammers, chains and a sander, then apply a fresh coat of green and yellow paint. After that they bring down the finish with an umber glaze and when dry, lightly sand the finish again.
- The homeowner's colorful blankets are displayed on an old ladder, which is placed in one corner to add height to the design.
- A punched-tin birdhouse lantern is placed along the back wall for ambiant lighting.
$44 - two gallons of paint (Behr: Barn Red - #8380)
$35 - wood and paint for shelf (Behr: Plum Paradise - #4C16-3)
$49 - three birdhouses (floral supply)
$35 - cedar branches (floral supply)
$166 - couch fabric (outlet)
$58 - four pillows
$20 - paint for tables (yellow paint: Behr - Spice Wreath, #1B10-5; green paint: Behr - Pine Branch, #5C5-3)
$37 - bench cushion
$5 - ladder (estate sale)
$16 - punched-tin lantern
$165 - Total Cost
Homeowners Scott and Beth Kenison's young boys have taken over their cluttered, outdated family room. Designer Karen McAloon...
A living room gets an Asian makeover for a price that doesn't hurt the wallet.(6 photos)
For less than $1000, this boring space is transformed into a beautiful French Country dining room.