Exotic Bedroom Retreat
An exotic design turns a bland bedroom into a luxurious retreat.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Conner's bedroom is transformed with color, fabric and furnishings. Here are the details:
- The walls are painted a golden yellow hue.
- Snijders dismantles two three-panel carved wooden screens from an import store to create a coordinated look. He uses one screen panel for the top of a bookcase to go at the end of the bed; birch plywood is used for the sides and bottom. Another panel is used for the headboard; Snijders constructs two mounting brackets to hold the screen to the bed frame. The two remaining two-panel screens are used to fill in two corners, along with plants and fabric lanterns.
- The bed is dressed with a new burgundy comforter and pillows in luxurious fabrics with beaded details. A dark blue mosquito net drapes down from the ceiling for a cozy effect. The windows are dressed with maroon sheers.
- Design coordinator Charles Burbridge constructs a CD storage unit out of plywood, pine trim and decorative grating. He stains the wood pieces to match the screens used for the headboard and bookcase. He cuts the grating to size and spray-paints it black. The grating is then attached to the plywood doors and the rough edges are hidden behind the pine trim, which is nailed on from the outside for a rustic look. He paints a black stripe over the nails and adds matching door pulls.
- Design coordinator Summer Baltzer rejuvenates a thrift-store desk with a gel-stain finish and painted knobs. She sands all the surfaces, applies the gel stain with a brush and spray-paints the hardware black to coordinate with the rest of the pieces. She also purchases a separate storage piece to hold the printer and fax machine.
Accessories and lighting - $482
- screens: Cost Plus World Market - Veda, #000000344908
- hanging lantern lights: Cost Plus World Market - Organdy #000000347349 (color: Zucchini)/#000000339075 (color: Rust)
- wooden base for candles: Cost Plus World Market - M PLR PLT DK BRN WD, #000000352724
- candles: Cost Plus World Market - BALI SCROLL, #000000328125/#000000328123/#000000328124
Bedding - $215
- throw pillows: Linens 'n Things - Velvetbead, #738790350554 (Navy) / #735732185649 (New)Canopy
- velvet canopy: Linens 'n Things - #401778063523
- bedding: Linens 'n Things - Mandara Duvet #8598937251, Mandara Shams #8598937256
Fabrics - $162
- curtains: Target - #068030180
Lumber and incidentals - $113
- window hardware: IKEA - INDEX, #43517480/#60025187/#93495112/#10037036
Paint and supplies - $25
- wall paint: Mark's Paint Store - #179
Project Total - $997
Couple wants to personalize each room in their 6,000-square-foot home. Now they turn to the large master bedroom.