Pam Rector wants her lackluster bedroom transformed into an enchanting Victorian-style boudoir.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Host Lee Snijders visits Rector's master bedroom to sum up what will need to be addressed. Rector recently purchased a Victorian-inspired bed with lovely floral carvings. Unfortunately, the rest of the furniture is leftovers from the 1980s. Rector is a big reader, but Snijders notices that she doesn't have any bedside tables or lamps. A small desk could help organize her writing projects and would add some interest to the corner window.
The Design on a Dime team creates a comforting, elegant retreat for under the $1,000 budget — here's how they do it:
- A soothing tone is set with a dusty rose color painted on the walls.
- A writing desk is stylized with scrolled appliqués. The desk is paired with a thrift-store chair that design coordinator Summer Baltzer fixes up with a new cushion, fabric and wax polish.
- Design coordinator Charles Burbridge creates a budget-conscious art piece inspired by an antique quilt. It consists of nine 12" x 12" foam-core panels covered with polyester batting and fabrics. Duct tape is used to secure the batting and fabric to the back of each panel.
- Rector's fantastic Victorian-style bed is made into the focal point with new bedding and tables and wall sconces flanking the sides. Burbridge refurbishes the antique side tables to bring out their beauty. The leather tops are revitalized with a cleaner and preservative that lifts away the dirt and adds some emollients to keep it from cracking any further. The wood is treated with a scratch cover, which is a liquid solution that fills in the small hairline scratches for a smooth finish. The final application is a mixture of beeswax and orange oil. It's wiped on, allowed to dry, then buffed off, which adds a rich lustre to the wood finish.
- An antique dresser brings with it rich cherry hues that contribute to a cohesive style.
- Lace curtains feature a rose pattern that matches the carved roses on the bed frame.
Furniture - $440
- dresser and mirror: N. Hollywood Antique Shop
- side tables: Santiago’s Antique Shop
- furniture polishers and cleaners: Anawalt Lumber - Saddle soap, 103986; Howard Feed and Wax, 2656470; Fix touch-up stick, 2310128; Old English Liquid scratch cover, 206813 / dark
Bedding - $295
- bedding: Linens 'n Things - shams and embroidered quilt, Cape Elizabeth Verdana 734737015272
- crocheted pillows: Linens 'n Things - 735732185236
Accessories and Artwork - $133
- frames: Aaron Brothers - 61693 mahogany / black
- mirror: Ross - Avon vanity mirror, 40600529945402
- magazine rack: Ross - 40640331308002
- crochet pieces for wall hanging: Linens 'n Things - 081806093939
- doilies: Michaels
Window Treatments and Fabrics - $75
- chair fabric: Jo-Ann Fabrics - Prt Royal floral embossed, 6730840
- fabric for wall hanging: Jo-Ann Fabrics - Celery, mauve, peach, soft yellow, vineyard green
- curtains: Kmart - Home Essentials, Florence Lace
Paint - $56
- wall paint: American Tradition, 93-12c
Project Total - $999
A conservative couple opts for a bedroom with some rock-star flair.