Eclectic Music Room
A storage room is transformed into a jamming jazz room for under $1,000.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Velma and Barry Benson want their storage room turned into a jazz room where Barry and his buddies can hang out and enjoy some quality guy time.
Host and designer Lee Snijders meets with the couple to discuss the project. He finds out that the floor needs new carpet, the windows need new treatments and the space is in desperate need of color. Barry would love to have the room designed in a colorful ethnic motif but with a modern sensibility. He would also like storage for his thousands of CDs and vinyl records, a stylish seating area and the ability to display his collection of platinum albums. Besides setting up the various drum sets, Snijders must also incorporate mood lighting to set the stage.
The bare-bones storage space is transformed into a room perfect for hosting a jamming jazz session — here's how the design team makes it happen on the $1,000 budget:
- The lackluster yellow walls are livened up with red paint. Before they apply the actual paint color, the walls are painted with a color-tinted primer.
The Cost Furniture – $342
Furniture – $342
- bookshelves: Ikea – Billy, 40071788/Birch
Window and fabric treatments – $268
- fabric: F&S Fabric
- Roman shades: Ikea – Gustava, Beige, 17938
Accessories and lighting – $206
- table and floor lamps: Ikea – Alang, 16441
- light bars on bookshelves: Ikea – Billy, 80021409
Floor covering – $131
- carpet: Lowe's – Stratos and American Dream, 191805
Paint and stain supplies – $50
- wall paint: Behr – Wine Tasting S-H-110D
Project Total – $997