Earthy Living and Dining Room
Earthy meets modern in a combination living and dining room.
- More from Design on a Dime
Filed under: Living Rooms, Dining Rooms, Traditional, Neutral, Art, Drapes, Window Treatments, Color
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
The design team succeeds in creating a comfortable living and dining room. Here's how they do it:
- The walls are painted one shade darker than the existing taupe color to add just a bit more depth.
- The furniture is repositioned to take advantage of the open space. The sofa is set against the wall of windows and the TV is placed on an adjacent wall. Two new dark-stained bookcases add storage to either end of the sofa. Two new floor lamps add ambiant lighting and help create a cozy, well-defined seating area.
- Snijders finds a dining set at an estate sale and updates the seats with dark vinyl coverings to tie them in with the other dark-stained furniture pieces. After he unscrews the seats, he drills a few holes into the center to allow the vinyl to breath. He then cuts foam to size, places it on top of the seat and wraps the two with the vinyl.
- Baltzer hand-paints a jute rug with a contemporary geometric design to fulfill the "earthy meets modern" look they're going for. The rug adds color to the floor and helps to delineate the living and dining spaces. To ensure the design is evenly spaced, she starts in the center, marking and taping off squares until she reaches the edges.
Interior redesigner Wendy Murphy brings balance and warmth to a family room and dining area while maintaining a guest- and...
With the help of designers, this hockey-loving family's outdated, cluttered living and dining room is transformed into a space...(6 photos)
Host Joan Steffend and designer Kim Wahl add a colorful modern country look to a bland white living and dining room for $500.(10 photos)