Distressed Bird Plaque
Brenda Marks demonstrates her process for distressing her brass bird plaque.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
steel wool pad
dry embossing tool
Patina-It (metal distressing fluid)
decorator chalk or colored pencils
3-1/2" x 4-1/2" plaque
2" x 3" plaque
coffee cup sleeve dot stencil
Crafter's Pick The Ultimate glue
handheld cordless drill
large jump rings
1. Rough up the brass foil by sanding it in different directions.
2. Find a photo of a bird for the design or draw your own on paper.
3. Place the bird design over the sanded brass. Place a piece of wax paper over the bird design. Emboss the outline and details onto the brass with a dry embossing tool.
4. Cut the bird out of the metal with scissors.
5. Sprinkle table salt onto the metal bird to help the patina stick to the metal.
6. Apply the patina to the metal using a cotton swab.
7. When the bird has the desired aged look, seal it with matte gel medium. Let dry.
8. Add color to the raised areas of the bird with colored pencils. Seal again and let dry.
9. Paint the larger 3-1/2" x 4-1/2" wood plaque with blue acrylic paint.
10. Paint the smaller 2" x 3" wood plaque with a background of light yellow green paint. Then apply green and blue paint to the plaque and remove the wet paint with a paper towel to create depth. Allow to dry.
11. Add dots to the larger plaque using a paper coffee cup holder (or similar object) as a stencil. Paint the dots with blue paint and a brush. Allow to dry.
12. Glue the bird onto the smaller plaque, bending the tail of the bird around to the back. Glue the small plaque onto the larger plaque.
13. Drill holes in the top corners of the large plaque using a power drill.
A pinecone adds texture and a sophisticated natural touch to this charming handmade holiday card.
What’s old is chic again. Follow these step-by-instructions for achieving a distressed look on furniture.
Bring spring indoors with an easy-to-craft decorative bird's nest you can whip up while watching your favorite show. Fill the...