Decoupage Mosaic Frame
Using a technique that combines decoupage and mosaic, Jessica creates functional artwork around personal mementos like wedding invitations, baby announcements, kids’ artwork and honeymoon souvenirs.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
For this project, Jessica makes a mosaic picture frame that incorporates hand-stamped tiles, textured clay pieces, and paper images set under glass.
Materials and Tools:
assorted potters pads
cone 05-06 clear overglaze
low-fire white clay
clay tools and stamps
unfinished wood picture frame
paper images/decorative paper
sanded tile grout
1. To make stamped tiles: Using a tile from a home improvement store, paint an even coat of a light-colored underglaze on tile and allow to dry. Using a pad of glaze, stamp a design over underglaze.
2. Follow up with a coat of clear glaze and fire.
3. To make textured tiles: Roll out clay slab to an even 3/8 inch.
4. Using texturing tools (clay stamps, household objects, ceramic tools), press gently into clay to create an interesting pattern.
5. Cut desired shapes from slab and fire.
6. Paint underglaze onto bisque tiles. Finish with a coat of clear glaze, and fire to cone 06.
7. Glue several images to the frame and cover them with a thin coat of adhesive. The layer of adhesive will prevent the image from warping.
8. Using wheeled glass nippers, cut clear glass to size of images. Apply glue to glass piece and press firmly over image.
9. Fill in the spaces between images with your hand-painted, handmade tiles. Using tile nippers, cut tile into small pieces and adhere to frame. It is important that all pieces fit well and don't have a lot of space between them.
10. Mix grout according to manufacturers directions. Apply grout over entire surface of picture frame, pushing it into the spaces between the tiles. Wipe off excess grout using a damp sponge.
11. Let the grout set approximately 45 minuntes.
12. Polish with a dry cloth.
Try this twist on a mosaic photo frame by using paper instead of ceramic pieces.