Decorative Paint Technique: Parchment Instructions
From our online exclusive Decorative Paint Techniques with Danielle Hirsch of Color Splash. This Old-World look resembles parchment paper and fits in today's modern homes. Follow these instructions from Danielle Hirsch.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Difficulty level: 1 out of 5
Materials and Tools:
latex paint: (base coat, eggshell sheen: Linen White); (top coat colors, eggshell or flat sheen: Dark Mustard 2161-30 and Nugget AC-9) – Benjamin Moore
2" and 4" china bristle brushes
latex glaze (Studio Finishes 405) – Benjamin Moore
1. Prepare the walls for painting; apply the base coat and let dry.
2. In separate containers, mix one part of each top coat color with one part latex glaze and one part water. Prepare the damp cheesecloth by folding or tucking in the corners so when you're working, there aren't "tails" whipping around.
3. In a 4'x4' area, apply one squiggly line of each color to add depth. Work the cheesecloth in a figure-eight rubbing pattern on the outside first to fan out the paint around the edges. Create texture on the inside by dabbing the paint to move it around (figure A). Once done with this area, resist the temptation to finesse it until the paint is completely dry because holes or overlapping paint lines could result.
4. Finish an entire wall in this manner before fixing any areas. If the cheesecloth begins to feel gummy or doesn't move with ease, rinse it with tap water.
5. To fix problem spots, brush a few strokes of two parts of the base coat paint mixed with one part water over the area and soften it with a dry china bristle brush (figure B). Brush the lighter paint color mixture on the cheesecloth, and dab over the problem spot. Add more texture by alternating between the light and dark paint color mixtures.
This parchment technique is such a small effort for a huge payoff. It's also the foundation for many other decorative finishes.
From our online exclusive Decorative Paint Techniques with Danielle Hirsch of Color Splash. These versatile parchment stripes...
From our online exclusive Decorative Paint Techniques with Danielle Hirsch of Color Splash. If you hate prep work, painting...
Use paint to create the look of fine fabric on your walls to really dress up a room.