Jessica Scheick makes whimsical cupcake pincushions.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Materials and Tools:
2, 9" x 12" felt rectangles in contrasting colors (same color and different shades, ex: pink and hot pink)
glass head pins
2 pieces of plain paper
needle and thread
1. Choose felt color rectangles for the icing (top) and the cake (bottom).
2. Make patterns from paper. To make sure the cupcake is symmetrical, fold the paper in half and then draw the top and bottom.
3. Cut out patterns and pin to a double thickness of felt. Cut two tops and two bottoms.
4. Draw legs with knobby knees and feet on a piece of paper and cut out.
5. Pin the leg pattern to the felt that is the same color as the top of the cupcake and cut out the legs.
6. Pin together one top and one bottom and sew, leaving a 5/8-inch seam allowance.
7. Repeat with the other top and bottom.
8. Position and pin each leg to the inside of the cupcake on the open end so that each leg is sandwiched between the base of the cupcake when it is sewn shut.
9. Pin both sides together with right sides facing out and sew around the edges, leaving about 1/4 inch seam allowance. Leave the bottom open to stuff.
10. Stuff with fiberfill.
11. Pin the bottom edge closed and sew closed.
Design a linocut stamp and print the pattern onto lampshade fabric.