Create an Outdoor Oasis for Less Than $1,000
A concrete patio is turned into a Mexican-themed outdoor room.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
This small patch of concrete is an eyesore that needs some design attention.
Vivid color and creative seating make this patio inviting, exciting and livable.
Kristan Cunningham, Dave Sheinkopf and Spencer Anderson work together to create a Mexican-inspired outdoor space.
Plants and Pottery - $290
- A collection of terra-cotta pots hold various cacti. Sheinkopf enhances a pair of pots with an aged finish made of stain, varnish and paint thinner. Turpentine is splashed on over the finish to give it an aged look. (pots and plants: Mainly Seconds; pot: Crate & Barrel - 05155150875549; chimnea and outdoor Pots: Pottery Etc.)
Accessories - $261
- Cunningham creates a shade awning out of a drop cloth. After she cuts it in half she attaches the ends to the house and lets one curtain fall down the side of the house to hide the meter. The other half is stretched out over the patio and secured via grommets to a pair of poles she's anchored in pots with concrete.
Furniture - $243
- The low concrete wall is made functional for seating and stepping with a two-level redwood bench made by Sheinkopf.
- A new table and a pair of chairs provide a spot for dining. Pillows in striped outdoor fabric add comfort to the chairs and bench. (fabric used for cushions: Jo-Ann Fabrics - 6647416/Sage/Terracotta/Sand/Outdoor Fabric; outdoor table: Target - 009010904)
Incidentals - $113
Paint and Supplies - $86
- The concrete is painted turquoise and the half-wall is painted a terra-cotta color. (paint: Behr - Greensleeves - 490D-7; Mojave Sunset - 220D-7)
Project Total - $993
A painted faux rug is easy to create and a simple way to brighten a patio.
Throw an outdoor summer party with one of these easy yet stunning themes that will leave your guests more than satisfied.(12 photos)
Mix-and-match seating, outdoor draperies and fresh accessories transform an underused deck into a functioning outdoor dining...(14 photos)