Old-Fashioned Living Room Converted Into Casual Cottage Classic
The 1970s bid farewell in this cottage-style redo.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
The living room is large but the fireplace and furniture were a blast from the past. A garden color palette and a casual, cottage style transform the dated space.
Kristan Cunningham, Spencer Anderson and Dave Sheinkopf succeed in bringing the outdoors inside--here's how:
Art and Accessories - $342
- Sheinkopf makes a tea tray as an accent piece for the table. Broken toile tiles are adhered to the tray with epoxy to create a mosaic surface. A layer of grout finishes it off. Other accessories include porcelain plates and window frames used as wall art. (plates: Michaels Arts & Crafts)
047293207051 sofa and 047293207044 loveseat)
Fabric and Window Treatments - $279
- Linen curtains frame the view outside without darkening the room. Floral and striped fabric is fashioned into throw pillows for the sofa. (pillow fabric: Jo-Anne Fabrics - Jacquard Natural & Gresha Sage; sheet set used for pillows: Linens 'n Things - 011342854916; window panels: Target - 068030706; round table and skirt: Target - 067110002 & 067030617)
Furniture - $212
- Sheinkopf builds an eight-sided coffee table out of medium-density fiberboard and adds turned legs purchased at a hardware store. He applies a brown base coat and a green color on top so that when he sands down the edges the brown shows through for a distressed effect. Additional furniture includes a side table from a hotel surplus outlet. (side table: Hotel Surplus Outlet - Barnaly; paint: Behr - Sagey 420F-4P)
Lighting - $139
- Cunningham makes floor lamps using ceiling medallions as the base. PVC pipe is used for the stem, which is covered at the top and bottom with molding pieces. A coat of spray paint, electrical components and shades are the finishing touches. Also, the track lighting is replaced with a thrift-store chandelier.
Paint and Supplies - $21
- The walls are painted a pale mossy green. (wall paint: Behr - Rejuvenate 410 E-3P )
Project Total - $993
Resident designer Carriann Arkowski works her magic on an oddly shaped room.