Contemporary and Asian Styles Blended for Bedroom Update
A bland master bedroom is transformed with a contemporary Asian design.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Tian and Yan Huang moved to the United States 12 years ago. After buying their first home they filled the rooms with the Chinese influences of their youth. Now, they're ready for a change in their master bedroom. They've recently purchased new contemporary-style furnishings and want the team to blend the two styles for an updated look.
Kristan Cunningham and design coordinators Dave Sheinkopf and Spencer Anderson discuss the design issues at hand, including the lack of color, mismatched lighting scheme, wasted space at the foot of the bed, the bland closet doors, outdated accessories and the lack of natural light coming through the wood blinds.
Here's how the team achieves a contemporary Asian design using color and updated decorative elements.
- The walls are painted a warm green color to act as a neutral and help counteract the dark wood furniture and ceiling beams. They paint a soft yellow rectangle in the center of each closet door to complement the straight-lined furniture and architecture.
Accessories - $537
- green pillow: The Great Indoors - #96 99195272
- closet knobs: Lowe's
- fabric for neckroll pillow: Michael Levine - D403
- pillow fabric: Michael Levine - D589
- clock: Target - #65092674
- frame: The Bombay Company - French Provincial #300914
- lamp shade for side table lamp: Lowe's - White linen round #02857
- lamp shades on fire log lamps: Lamps Plus - Shade Seconds, #32847
Window treatments - $195
- window shades: Cost Plus World Market - Beige ppr blin #37752
Furniture - $178
- legs for bench: The Home Depot - #38453025080
Paint and supplies - $89
- paint for trim on cornice boxes: Benjamin Moore - Aquavelvet Interior Eggshell, Bronzed Beige #2151-50
- paint for closet doors and base coat on cornice boxes: Benjamin Moore - Moorecraft Interior Eggshell, Sulfur Yellow #2151-40
- wall paint: Benjamin Moore - Moorecraft Interior Flat, Timothy Straw #2149-40
- stain for bench legs: The Home Depot - #27426227187
Project Total - $999
See how one couple's master bedroom goes from ordinary to elegant.
Eric Smith and Kimberly Davis are combining households and need a master bedroom that accommodates all of their belongings.
A master bedroom goes from blank white to stunning purple with Asian accents in this dramatic transformation.(6 photos)