Condo Living Room Decorated With Comfort in Mind
A lifeless living room is energized with a subdued color scheme and updated furnishings.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
The design team delivers on its promise of a contemporary masculine space with subtle color — here's how they do it:
- The walls are painted a soft beige-green hue to complement the existing furniture and set the stage for the subdued contemporary look.
- The furniture layout is reconfigured to make better use of the space. In doing so, the sofas are positioned opposite each other eliminating room for Michael's existing coffee and console table. Dave decides to build two new pieces to custom fit the space. He cuts the tops out of a 4x8 sheet of 1-1/4" birch plywood and applies a walnut veneer tape to the edges. After adding a semi-gloss polyurethane to protect the top, he attaches squared-off parson's legs to the coffee table and aluminum legs to the console.
- Kristan purchases a new entertainment unit to house the TV and miscellaneous electronics — a shelf underneath provides even more storage without adding too much weight to the design.
- Since Michael is an amateur photographer and has a stash of good-quality images of his children, the team frames a sampling of them in frames with crisp white mats.
- Michael's stand-up bass is taken out of the case and used as an accessory in one corner of the room. Other decorative elements include greenery, a collection of throw pillows on the sofa and a basket of apples on the coffee table for additional color. The room is lit with two standing paper-shade lamps.
Furniture - $639
- aluminum legs (for console table): IKEA - Inge, #90037853
- legs for coffee table: The Home Depot - #98453026650
- media cabinet: Cost Plus World Market - Paler 1A, #328115
- side table: Cost Plus World Market - TL PSTL Gothic 1A, #340201
Accessories - $241
- pillow: Pier One Imports - Boxed Stone/#1816397
- shadow box frames: Aaron Brothers - #689398
- clear frames: Aaron Brothers - #84659
- curtains: IKEA - Gullmaj, #00046625
- curtain finials: IKEA - Deci, #90018637
- curtain rod brackets: IKEA -Deci, #20018631
- small picture frames: IKEA - Ribba, #90019825
Paint and supplies - $75
- paint: Benjamin Moore - Yorkshire Tan HC-23
Lighting - $42
- lamp: IKEA - Skyar, #10325310
Project Total - $997
Redesigner Erica Cooper blends the old with the new to create a living room with a lived-in look that is unified and inviting.
See how transitional style is used to incorporate both traditional and contemporary design elements.(4 photos)
Hosts Andrika Lawren and Emmanuel Belliveau combine a couple's passions to redesign their living room.(7 photos)