Colorful Storage Canopy
Add extra storage to your nursery or kids' room with this accessible and washable canopy.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
8 yards of canvas or other heavy, washable material (Measurement may change based on dimensions of your window)
2 spools of thread
6' curtain rod, cut into two 3' sections
4 small hooks
1. Measure the width and height of your window.
2. Cut a length of washable fabric the appropriate length, approximately one foot off the floor to determine length and three feet wide. A heavier fabric, like canvas, is a good choice so the curtain will hold its shape even when the pockets are stuffed with your child's objects.
3. Hem all edges. Then, fold the fabric over and stitch two sleeves for the curtain rods to run through. Be sure the sleeve is wide enough for the finial to fit through, approximately six inches in circumference.
4. On each side sew horizontal bands of fabric for the pockets. For this project, they created two rows on the front and back of each panel for a total of four rows on each side. You can make the pockets out of a different fabric or keep things simple by using one material for everything. Sew the pocket-bands into place along the left and right edges and bottom only and divide the band up into smaller pockets with vertical stitches. This project features four pockets that are nine inches wide. For a more open pocket, fold an inch of extra fabric over at each pocket edge.
5. Hang curtain rods perpendicular to wall at desired height. Install a flat metal bracket to the edge of the curtain rod and used the extra holes in the bracket to attach the rod to the wall. Put a small hook on the outer edge of the curtain rod, facing up and another 18" above the curtain rod on the wall. Run the chain between these two hooks to add support for the curtain.
6. Last, hang the curtain rods and enjoy.
Professional organizer Candita Clayton shares how to organize all of the newborn necessities, plus gives tips on shopping for...
Check out these colorful teen bedrooms filled with bright, fun accents and get inspired to make over your own.(8 photos)
Thanks to small-space decorating and storage ideas, these twins can comfortably share a room. While it may be short on space,...(18 photos)