Classic 1950s Living Room
A boring, white living room gets a cool, retro makeover.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
A splash of aqua on the walls is just the beginning of this retro living room redo.
The homeowners love '50s style but aren't quite sure how to create the look in their living room.
Kristan Cunningham, Dave Sheinkopf and Spencer Anderson transform a plain living room with classic retro '50s style.
Accessories and Rug — $314
- Vintage pieces like a starburst clock and a framed floral print accentuate the retro '50s look. A circular shag rug is cut out of a carpet remnant. (sofa pillows: Burlington Coat Factory — 460-69332447; starburst clock: Sunset Orange)
Furniture — $229
- Sheinkopf builds a two-tier TV unit out of medium-density fiberboard (MDF). Retro-styled legs and a glass top complete the piece.
Fabric and Window Treatments — $180
- New panels and roller shades give the windows a 1950s feel. (window panels: Target — Cream/068030707; roller shades: Lowe's)
Fireplace Treatment — $138
- A stacked stone look on the fireplace is created with precut flagstone slats adhered with mortar cement. (stone: Bourget Flagstone Company)
Lighting - $94
- A vintage table lamp balances the low scale of the TV unit. (lamp: Sunset Orange; lampshade: Target — Cream/074080161)
Paint and Supplies — $40
- Aqua walls set the tone for a classic 1950s style. (wall paint: Benjamin Moore, Passion Blue)
Project Total — $995
Homeowner Andy Pruden needs help with his living room and dining room. He's grown tired of the country feel that his decor...