Budget-Friendly Kitchen Updates From Expert Designers
We asked. They answered. Expert designers share what to buy if you only have $200.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
In addition to changing cabinet door hardware and a fresh coat of paint, the backsplash is where you can make the most dramatic impact in a kitchen.
Try one of these options to update your backsplash:
- Chalkboard and whiteboard paints come in an array of colors. However, the basic black chalkboard paint behind any cabinet creates a simple, clean look by adding contrast and depth to a kitchen.
- Wallpaper has come a long way with an endless assortment of patterns and finishes like vinyl for easy cleaning/removal.
- Laminates include a brushed stainless steel finish to give the look of stainless without the cost.
- Another way to achieve a sleek look is to paint the backsplash wall a bold color and cover it with a panel of glass or Plexiglas. Fabrics or wallpaper can also be applied instead of paint.
- Porcelain tiles can be cost effective and come in a range of patterns, mosaics and textures.
For a more open look, extend the backsplash up the wall and replace bulky upper cabinets with shelves that will expose a beautiful collection of dishes and glassware.