Before and After: Living Room Redesign
A long and narrow family room gets a new layout.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Redesigners Jackie Davis and Kelly Edge rearrange the layout in a long and narrow family room.
- The huge vertically-oriented fireplace is a major focal point so the other tall pieces are redistributed in the room to balance the visual weight. The three-piece hutch next to the fireplace is dismantled and the bottom part is left in place where it will serve as a buffet and bar. The TV cabinet is placed on the wall opposite the fireplace.
- The sofas are brought back in facing each other so that both the fireplace and TV are visible.
- Two more seating areas are created with a game table and chair in front of one window and a fabric-skirted table and chair in a far corner.
- The existing coffee table is replaced with a fabric-covered bench, which brings more color into the room.
- Finishing touches include lamps, colorful art and accessories and a trio of greenery in an empty corner.
Color helps transform a stark living room into an inviting space.
A living room gets a fun, Southern California-style makeover.(3 photos)
Kenneth Brown replaces beach style with a sophisticated design.