Ask Alex: Avoiding Fabrics That Fade
Learn how to avoid fabrics that fade with these tips from quilting expert Alex Anderson.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
Quilting expert Alex Anderson answers viewer Nancy Ota's question in relation to preventing fabrics from fading.
What can we do to avoid fabrics that fade?
Pigment dying and wet printing are the two primary techniques for quilt fabric coloring.
- Pigment dyed fabric typically includes a manufacturer's guarantee to resist up to 40 hours of direct sunlight.
- Wet printed fabric typically includes a manufacturer's guarantee to resist up to 20 hours of direct sunlight.
- If you are making an heirloom quilt, contact the manufacturer* to ascertain how the fabric was printed.
- If you have a fabric that seems to be fading irregularly, be sure to contact the manufacturer*.
- In all cases, avoid exposing the fabric to direct sunlight whenever possible.
* Reputable major manufacturers welcome customer comments and are prepared to provide reliable information.
A multipurpose decor item, this fabric pouf can be used as an ottoman, extra seating for guests or as a coffee table with a...