Arts-and-Crafts Style Kitchen Renovation
Su Bacon helps this homeowner create an efficient, beautiful space that remains faithful to the arts-and-crafts sensibility of the rest of the home.
E-mail This Page to Your Friendsx
A link to %this page% was e-mailed
When Arno Grether renovated the outdated kitchen in his California style bungalow, his goal was to create an efficient, beautiful space that remains faithful to the arts-and-crafts sensibility of the rest of the home. The brand-new kitchen combines custom-built wood cabinets with commercial stainless steel appliances for a craftsman design with a new upscale look.
- The arts-and-crafts style is evident in the dining room that is filled with period Stickley furniture, geometric glass and metal lighting, and a collection of colorful pottery.
- The kitchen is open to the dining room and family room. To create cohesion among the spaces, similar materials were used throughout, like the oak flooring and Douglas fir cabinetry, all stained the same warm cinnamon color.
- To make the kitchen larger, space was borrowed from what used to be the maid’s bedroom and bath. The new space accommodates a large island and coffee bar.
- To offset all the wood cabinetry, a hallmark of the arts-and-crafts style, cool green granite and stainless steel were chosen for counters and appliances.
- The large kitchen feels open and airy with patio doors to the outside and shared light from the large family room beyond. The family room uses the same cabinetry as the kitchen and features a barrel wood ceiling and antique wooden beams.
Both Kenneth and the couple can't wait to get cooking on this one-of-a-kind kitchen design.